2012年3月29日星期四

There have been times I’ve wanted to stop playing

Wright birdied five of her last nine holes at Mission Hills Country Club and was a stroke behind the leader, Amy Yang. But Wright’s louis vuitton mens shoes sale finish was not the reason for her good mood. Fourteen months ago, Wright began taking daily medication for anxiety and depression. Before her condition was diagnosed, she nearly quit golf and questioned what she had to live for.

“I could have shot 80 today, and I’d still feel really great,” Wright said. “I don’t feel like I’m swimming with weights and dragging around 10 pounds of excess baggage. I sleep better, and I’m happier.”

Wright, 32, grew up in Australia and attended Pepperdine. As a senior, she finished second at the 2001 N.C.A.A. championships to Candy Hannemann of Georgia. After playing on the Futures Tour, she matriculated to the L.P.G.A. tour, where she found the environment not at all collegial. Wright described feeling like an outsider and spoke of the homesickness and loneliness that settled into her marrow after months away from her family.

Describing the tour as “an insular, introverted, isolated world,” Wright said she found no relief during her too-brief trips home. “My best mates were having families and everybody seemed to be growing up, and I was out here doing this,” she said. “Which is nothing wrong; it’s a great lifestyle if you have a healthy balance.”

Wright played well in the first half of 2009, finishing fourth at the Kraft Nabisco Championship and second at the L.P.G.A. Championship. “And after that,” she said, “it was kind of a downhill, slippery slope. It just kind of happened quickly. You have bouts, and without getting into the psychology and everything, it wasn’t a great time, and I just couldn’t really get through it.”

On the last day of 2009, Wright turned 30. That was one low point. Another came at the 2010 Women’s British Open, when Wright dissolved into tears on the Royal Birkdale practice green. She shot rounds of 77 and 73 and missed the cut.

“People would say, ‘Oh, what’s wrong with your golf?’ and I thought: ‘It’s not my golf. It’s my head,’ ” Wright said.

She added: “People think, ‘Depression — oh, just get over it if you’re in a bad mood,’ or whatever. It really impacts you physically, and playing on this tour, coming out and trying to play, grinding it out each week louis vuitton men hoodies when you’re not sleeping and you can’t concentrate or focus and the other symptoms with it, it just gets you down, and it’s a bit of a nightmare.”

Athletes are conditioned to fight through the pain, to plow through mental and physical barriers. Wright said she was brought up to believe that when the going gets tough, the tough get going. “Where I played golf and grew up, it’s like, you just get on with it and do it, get over it and move on,” she said.

Wright was at home when she watched a television program in which a woman discussed her depression. “That’s me,” Wright said she remembered thinking. Not long afterward, at the insistence of a friend who is not an athlete, Wright said she sought help.

“When I did go to the doctor and got a diagnosis, I realized, ‘Jeez, I really do have a problem here,’ ” Wright said.

She played in 16 events last year, taking off the last four months to explore life without competitive golf.

“I felt really like I was being smothered by it, by the lifestyle and golf,” said Wright, who worked in public relations at a few men’s and women’s events in Australia. She resumed practicing in January and won for the first time in eight years, at the New Zealand Open, in February.

“There have been times I’ve wanted to stop playing, but when I’ve wanted to, I thought, if I stop playing now is it the depression or is it that I don’t enjoy golf?” Wright said. “So I didn’t want to quit something I’ve worked my whole life for because I was mental, basically. So last year was that test for me. I played last year, and I really enjoyed it. I liked golf, but my heart was at home.”

Wright had decided that this would be her last year on tour. Her victory in New Zealand did not cause her to change her timetable on retiring from competitive golf — and she’s not sure a victory this week would, either.

“It would be nice to leap in the pond on Sunday, but it wouldn’t change the plan, no,” Wright said. “I just want to enjoy my life.”

STORMY HOUSTON OPEN Ángel Cabrera and Carl Pettersson each shot a seven-under-par 65 to set the pace in the Houston Open in Humble, Tex., before the first round was suspended because of bad weather.

Only 51 players completed their 2012 louis vuitton women shoes popular 2012 new white rounds before thunderstorms in the afternoon. The defending champion Phil Mickelson, Fred Couples and Ernie Els were still playing their front nines when play was suspended.

没有评论:

发表评论